Consumers | Massachusetts Mortgage Bankers Association


For Consumers:

Local Down Payment Assistance: Location Matters!
Where you are purchasing your home, location will determine which application you must submit.
Homeowner Assistance Fund (HAF)
The Homeowner Assistance Fund (HAF) provides financial assistance to help homeowners who are behind on their mortgage payments due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Are you a consumer facing foreclosure or in financial distress?

  • Contact the servicer on your current mortgage - there are modification programs available to assist you. Search for your servicer compliments of Mortgage Electronic Registration System (MERS) at
  • You may be eligible to modify your current mortgage if it is owned by Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac.  You can verify this checking online:
  • HOPE NOW counseling service. Many servicers will require you to obtain foreclosure counseling - HOPE NOW is the nationally recognized counseling service that is free. Contact them by phone (888-995-HOPE) or online at
  • Massachusetts Foreclosure Resources from the Office of Consumer AffairsForeclosure Resources

Consumer Education and Mortgage Fraud:

General Mortgage Information:

Consumer Phone Numbers:

  • Massachusetts Division of Banks Mortgage Fraud Consumer Hotline: (800) 495-2265 x 1501
  • Homeowner's Hope Hotline:  (888) 995-HOPE