NEMBC Info and Program Descriptions
Tuesday, September 10th8:30 PM -11:00 PM Let’s Gather at Gurney’s! (The Regent/Back Deck)
Wednesday, September 11th
- NEMBC Golf Tournament at Newport Country Club (separately ticketed event)
- Freddie Mac Training (9:00 AM -10:15 AM) - Betty Green, National Trainer
- Investor Accounting Process and Timelines
- Daily Reporting and All-in Reporting
- Standard Remittance Cycle and Drafting
- P&I Determination Date and Draft Date
- Payoff Determination Date and Draft Date
- Fannie Mae Training (10:30 AM -11:45 AM)
Fannie Mae will host an interactive panel discussion on how to capitalize on the efficiency of DU Validation, reduce production cost, reduce processing time and improving profitability. Fannie Mae approved lenders will share tips and best practices based on their DU Validation adoption journey. Additionally, Fannie Mae will share updates on recent announcements including: URLA, Selling Guide updates, etc.
The Commodity Conundrum (10:30 AM -11:45 AM) Sponsored by In the ever-changing market, you need a solid foundation to be able to compete, but you need unique offerings and services to surpass the competition. In this session with Steve Richman, Genworth's That MI Guy℠, we will explore the required foundation (market, environment, product, customer and self-analysis) and then discover how to apply new ideas, technologies and value-adds to distance yourself from the competition. Additionally, we will discuss making business partners “friends” and how to get your customers to think about you, even when you are not right there in front of them.
- mPower Networking Event - Wise Eyes: See Yourself to Success (11:45 AM -1:15 PM)
Accelerate your career by attending this mPower event. Hear from our featured speaker Christine Beckwith, President & COO, 20/20 Vision Your Success Coaching & Consulting, on blueprinting for success. She will teach us how to apply seven critical principals to our daily interactions, including avoiding pitfalls that derail sustaining and fulfilling a business plan. The presentation is based on her now best-selling book, Wise Eyes: See Your Way to Success.
- FHLB Boston Training (1:15 PM -2:30 PM)
Join representatives from the Federal Home Loan Bank of Boston to hear updates of the Bank’s Mortgage Partnership Finance® (MPF) Program and low- to moderate-income housing assistance programs. This session will focus on the Bank’s residential mortgage product offerings and how members can leverage the Bank’s Equity Builder Housing our Workforce Programs to increase business development and home ownership opportunities for low- to moderate-income homebuyers. All are welcome to learn about FHLBank Boston’s programs.
- Young Mortgage Professional Program (1:30 PM -3:30 PM) -If you're a young professional, involved in Mortgage Lending in any way, and have career growth and future leadership as a goal, you are invited to participate in an open and interactive discussion of challenges and opportunities facing younger employees in an aging business. This is not a panel, presentation or pitch, but an opportunity for you to speak to and hear from peers on topics that matter to you.
- RESPA Section 8/Referrals- How Do You Stay Compliant? (1:30 PM -2:45 PM) -Yes – RESPA Section 8 violations are happening! Join industry experts as they discuss the changing landscape, regulatory scrutiny and help to answer the question “Why Can’t We Do That- Everyone Else is Doing It?!” Panelists will discuss managing RESPA risk with real business opportunities and provide examples and best practices to document relationships, fair market value, and proportionate costs.
- "Hot Topics" - Be Prepared! (3:15 PM -4:30 PM) What do you need to have on your radar in the year ahead? Join a panel of industry experts discussing topics such as MLO Compensation, Fair Lending, ATR/QM, QM Patch and trending state issues such as data privacy and rent control.
- Exhibit Hall (2:00 PM -5:00 PM) - Visit with 50 exhibitors who will showcase the latest in mortgage-related services and products including NEMBC Gives Back!
- Technology Innovation Hub (2:00 PM -5:00 PM - Discover the latest technology solutions for the mortgage industry at our new Technology Innovation Hub
- 2:00 PM - Assurity Technologies
- 2:30 PM -SimpleNexus
- 3:00 - Reggora
- 3:30 PM - Black Knight Financial Services
- "All New" Reception at Ocean Cliff (6:30 PM -10:00 PM)-
Set amidst breathtaking views of Narragansett Bay, Ocean Cliff Resort is our new destination for our NEMBC Opening Reception. Ocean Cliff was built in 1864 by the same firm that designed both the Breakers and Doris Duke's Rough Point. The entertainment will include the sounds of the band, Images, a well-known Rhode Island Band. In addition, and by special appearance, Marko the Hypnotist will entertain and turn volunteers into the 'Stars' of the evening. You won't want to miss this fun activity from 7:00 PM till 8:00 PM. Please join us in all of the fun that this event will offer.
Thursday, September 12th
- Running (or Walking) with Lou (7:00 AM -7:45 AM) -Start your conference by taking care of yourself! Join Lou Chinappi of Arch MI for a morning run or walk through the streets of Newport. Complete a 5K run, or a 2 mile walk, and finish at Starbucks on Thames for water and coffee, before starting your day at the conference. Meet for some stretching at 6:45 AM outside the front door of Gurney’s. All levels of fitness are welcome and encouraged to attend, maps will be provided.
- NEMBC Opening Session Breakfast with Robert Broeksmit (MBA) & Barry Habib (MBS Highway (8:30 AM -10:45 AM) -
Join us in welcoming Robert Broeksmit, President and CEO of Mortgage Bankers Association who will provide us with valuable insight on industry issues. Barry Habib, CEO of MBS Highway will provide you with a housing market update and discuss the current interest rate environment. You won’t want to miss this!
- Exhibit Hall (10:45 AM -4:00 PM) - Visit with 50 exhibitors who will showcase the latest in mortgage-related services and products including NEMBC Gives Back!
- Technology Innovation Hub (11:00 AM -4:00 PM) - Discover the latest technology solutions for the mortgage industry at our new Technology Innovation Hub
- 11:00 AM -Mortgage Technology Journey
- 12:00 PM -AI Foundry
- 12:30 PM -MortgageFlex Systems
- 1:00 PM- CATIC
- 1:30 PM -Specialized Data Systems
- 2:00 PM -Optimal Blue
- 2:30 PM -The Warren Group
- 3:00 PM -Sprout Mortgage
Mortgage Technology Journey: How BI, RPA and AI Drive Down Loan Manufacturing Costs (11:00 AM -Noon): Lou Chinappi will interview Keith Polaski on how radius financial is using AI technology to drive down the cost of originations. Keith has spent the past 5 years working on this investment and will share information such as where to begin; challenges; investment needed and misconceptions.
THE AMAZON PRIME EFFECT – SURVIVING IN THE NEW SUBSCRIPTION SOCIETY (LUNCH -Noon -1:00 PM) -Subscription services are quickly becoming the dominate strategy of today’s best retailers and have caused a monumental shift in the way people buy. More than 50% of all American households now subscribe to Amazon Prime, and more than 200 million people subscribe to this and other retail services such as Netflix, Spotify, Dollar Shave Club, Costco and AAA. Bank marketers have a duty to understand these trends and drive their banks beyond just transactions to connect better with the lifestyles of today’s modern consumers.
- A Digital Mortgage Transformation Journey (1:15 PM -2:15 PM)- Mortgage technology is changing fast, and it can be challenging to keep up. eClosings, eNotes, eVaults, eNotarization and eRecording are no longer just future concepts – they are here today, and can bring lenders process and capital efficiencies, increased collateral control, improved audit trails and a better, faster closing experience for borrowers. Attend this session and learn about the nuances of eClosing, the solutions available, and how to get started.
Hope is Not a Strategy – Knowing Your Customers (1:15 PM -2:15 PM) -Change is inevitable in all businesses and the Mortgage Industry is no different. Borrowers needs, desires, and knowledge level has changed over the past 30 years. Learn key demographics about Baby Boomers, Generation X, and the Millennial borrower to help increase your business and refine your marketing strategies. Do you know who your customer is? Are you sure?
- Data Privacy - Today’s Challenges and Tomorrow’s Opportunities (2:30 PM -3:30 PM) In this session we’ll discuss the impact of the increased consumer and legal attention in the data privacy sphere as it relates today’s mortgage industry and what to expect in the future.
- Best Practices for Expanding Your Technology Partnerships (2:30 PM -3:30 PM): Effectively choosing and managing third-party vendors can be very challenging from an operational, technological, and compliance perspective. This session will provide you with examples on how to choose the right vendor to maximize efficiency and customer experience while balancing the potential pitfalls of administration and implementation. An overview of the risk and reward considerations associated with the selection, engagement, oversight of new technology vendors in the mortgage market from local lenders that are forefront of digital mortgage transformation.
- MARKETPLACE RECEPTION & RAFFLES (3:30 PM -4:00 PM)
- NEMBC Newport Night at 41 North (8:00 PM -11:00 PM)
Take the NEMBC trolley to downtown Newport. Begin or end your evening at 41 North for a cool and casual evening along the waterfront. Enjoy some classic rock music with Steve Spector or try your hand in a competitive game of cornhole or Jenga.
Friday, September 13th
- Closing Breakfast Session with Rob Chrisman (9:00 AM -11:00 AM)
Rob Chrisman, publisher of the nationally renowned daily market commentary on current mortgage events, will interview Brian Koss, Chief Storyteller & EVP National Head of Production -Mortgage Network, Inc.; Mary E. Noons, Executive Vice President, Retail Lending - Washington Trust and Kurt Noyce, President -Financial Institution Services/Embrace Home Loans Inc. discussing the current market and what lenders are thinking about heading into autumn with new trends and business opportunities.