NEMBC Info and Program Descriptions
Tuesday, September 10th8:30 PM -11:00 PM Let’s Gather at Gurney’s! (The Regent/Back Deck)
Wednesday, September 11th
- NEMBC Golf Tournament at Newport Country Club (separately ticketed event)
- Freddie Mac Training (9:00 AM -10:15 AM)
- Fannie Mae Training (10:30 AM -11:45 AM)
- The Commodity Conundrum (10:30 AM -11:45 AM) Sponsored by In the ever-changing market, you need a solid foundation to be able to compete, but you need unique offerings and services to surpass the competition. In this session with Steve Richman, Genworth's That MI Guy℠, we will explore the required foundation (market, environment, product, customer and self-analysis) and then discover how to apply new ideas, technologies and value-adds to distance yourself from the competition. Additionally, we will discuss making business partners “friends” and how to get your customers to think about you, even when you are not right there in front of them.
- mPower Networking Event (11:45 AM -1:15 PM) Tricia Migliazzo, Vice President of Member Engagement at the Mortgage Bankers Association will interview and welcome Christine Beckwith! Christine is the award-winning author of “Wise Eyes- See Your Way to Success” and “Clear Boundaries: Every Business Woman Essential Safety Guide” as she takes attendees through 9 top points to excel. This event will uplift and motivate and leave you inspired!
- FHLB Boston Training (1:15 PM -2:30 PM)
- Young Mortgage Professional Program (1:30 PM -3:30 PM) -If you're a young professional, involved in Mortgage Lending in any way, and have career growth and future leadership as a goal, you are invited to participate in an open and interactive discussion of challenges and opportunities facing younger employees in an aging business. This is not a panel, presentation or pitch, but an opportunity for you to speak to and hear from peers on topics that matter to you.
- RESPA Section 8/Referrals- How Do You Stay Compliant? (1:30 PM -2:45 PM) -Yes – RESPA Section 8 violations are happening! Join industry experts as they discuss the changing landscape, regulatory scrutiny and help to answer the question “Why Can’t We Do That- Everyone Else is Doing It?!” Panelists will discuss managing RESPA risk with real business opportunities and provide examples and best practices to document relationships, fair market value, and proportionate costs.
- "Hot Topics" - Be Prepared! (3:15 PM -4:30 PM) What do you need to have on your radar in the year ahead? Join a panel of industry experts discussing topics such as MLO Compensation, Fair Lending, APR, QM Patch and trending state issues such as data privacy and rent control.
- Exhibit Hall (2:00 PM -5:00 PM) - Visit with 55 exhibitors who will showcase the latest in mortgage-related services and products including NEMBC Gives Back!
- Technology Innovation Hub (2:00 PM -5:00 PM - Discover the latest technology solutions for the mortgage industry at our new Technology Innovation Hub
- "All New" Reception at Ocean Cliff (6:30 PM -10:00 PM) -
Set amidst breathtaking views of Narragansett Bay, Ocean Cliff Resort is our new destination for our NEMBC Opening Reception. Ocean Cliff was built in 1864 by the same firm that designed both the Breakers and Doris Duke's Rough Point. The entertainment will include the sounds of the band, Images, a well-known Rhode Island Band. In addition, and by special appearance, Marko the Hypnotist will entertain and turn volunteers into the 'Stars' of the evening. You won't want to miss this fun activity from 7:15PM till 8:00PM. Please join us in all of the fun that this event will offer.
Thursday, September 12th
- Running (or Walking) with Lou (7:00 AM -7:45 AM) -Start your conference by taking care of yourself! Join Lou Chinappi of Arch MI for a morning run or walk through the streets of Newport. Complete a 5K run, or a 2 mile walk, and finish at Starbucks on Thames for water and coffee, before starting your day at the conference. Meet for some stretching at 6:45 AM outside the front door of Gurney’s. All levels of fitness are welcome and encouraged to attend, maps will be provided.
- NEMBC Opening Session Breakfast with Robert Broeksmit (MBA) & Barry Habib (MBS Highway (8:30 AM -10:45 AM) -Join us in welcoming Robert Broeksmit, President and CEO of Mortgage Bankers Association who will provide us with valuable insight on industry issues. Barry Habib, CEO of MBS Highway will provide you with a housing market update and discuss the current interest rate environment. You won’t want to miss this!
- Exhibit Hall (11:00 AM -4:00 PM) - Visit with 55 exhibitors who will showcase the latest in mortgage-related services and products including NEMBC Gives Back!
- Technology Innovation Hub (11:00 AM -4:00 PM) - Discover the latest technology solutions for the mortgage industry at our new Technology Innovation Hub
Mortgage Technology Journey: How BI, RPA and AI Drive Down Loan Manufacturing Costs (11:00 AM -Noon): Donna Miller will interview Keith Polaski on how radius financial is using AI technology to drive down the cost of originations. Keith has spent the past 5 years working on this investment and will share information such as where to begin; challenges; investment needed and misconceptions.
THE AMAZON PRIME EFFECT – SURVIVING IN THE NEW SUBSCRIPTION SOCIETY (LUNCH -Noon -1:00 PM) -Subscription services are quickly becoming the dominate strategy of today’s best retailers and have caused a monumental shift in the way people buy. More than 50% of all American households now subscribe to Amazon Prime, and more than 200 million people subscribe to this and other retail services such as Netflix, Spotify, Dollar Shave Club, Costco and AAA. Bank marketers have a duty to understand these trends and drive their banks beyond just transactions to connect better with the lifestyles of today’s modern consumers.
- URLA Update with Ellie Mae (1:15 PM -2:15 PM)
- A Digital Mortgage Transformation Journey (1:15 PM -2:15 PM)- See how digital technologies offer a competitive advantage and better customer experience. Learn about the current industry landscape, implementation and delivery options.
Hope is Not a Strategy – Knowing Your Customers (1:15 PM -2:15 PM) -Change is inevitable in all businesses and the Mortgage Industry is no different. Borrowers needs, desires, and knowledge level has changed over the past 30 years. Learn key demographics about Baby Boomers, Generation X, and the Millennial borrower to help increase your business and refine your marketing strategies. Do you know who your customer is? Are you sure?
- Data Privacy - Today’s Challenges and Tomorrow’s Opportunities (2:30 PM -3:30 PM) In this session we’ll discuss the impact of the increased consumer and legal attention in the data privacy sphere as it relates today’s mortgage industry and what to expect in the future.
- Best Practices for Expanding Your Technology Partnerships (2:30 PM -3:30 PM): Effectively choosing and managing third-party vendors can be very challenging from an operational, technological, and compliance perspective. This session will provide you with examples on how to choose the right vendor to maximize efficiency and customer experience while balancing the potential pitfalls of administration and implementation. An overview of the risk and reward considerations associated with the selection, engagement, oversight of new technology vendors in the mortgage market from local lenders that are forefront of digital mortgage transformation.
- MARKETPLACE RECEPTION & RAFFLES (3:30 PM -4:00 PM)
- NEMBC Newport Night at 41 North (8:00 PM -11:00 PM)
Friday, September 13th
- Closing Breakfast Session with Rob Chrisman (9:00 AM -11:00 AM)
Rob Chrisman, publisher of the nationally renowned daily market commentary on current mortgage events, will interview Brian Koss, Chief Storyteller & EVP National Head of Production -Mortgage Network, Inc.; Mary E. Noons, Executive Vice President, Retail Lending - Washington Trust and Kurt Noyce, President -Financial Institution Services/Embrace Home Loans Inc. discussing the current market and what lenders are thinking about heading into autumn with new trends and business opportunities.